Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Terminal (sh) Sessions on Beaglebone from PC

Here are two ways to get a terminal shell (sh) session going on the Beaglebone board.without using the USB-based serial interface.

Ethernet or Network Via USB 

If you don't have a spare ethernet port on a router, you can establish a network connection between the Beaglebone and a PC using a network simulator over a USB connection.

Simply plug the beaglebone in to the PC using the USB cable using the USB client (mini USB connector on the board.) Let it boot up. It will appear as a mass storage device on the PC. The network interface will automatically be established after unmounting (ejecting) this Beagleboard mass storage device under Windows.

Method 1: This is fast

From Linux use ‘ssh root@192.168.7.2
Password is not set, so just hit enter when asked. Here’s an example:

john@john-ThinkPad-T42:~$ ssh root@192.168.7.2
root@192.168.7.2's password:
root@beaglebone:~#

From Windows, use the PuTTY client.

Method 2: This is very slow
.

Using Gate One server on board, accessed from web browser as url 192.168.7.2, at https://192.168.7.2/, at prompt enter 192.168.7.2. Then hit enter at ‘port 22’ question, then enter ‘root’ at user question. You should get a normal terminal session prompt.

2 comments:

  1. When I look at my ifconfig, my BBone is at 192.168.5.4 and this is what I get back:
    user@user-desktop:~$ ssh root@192.168.5.4
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.5.4 port 22: Connection refused

    Any suggestions? When I use that address in firefox, I can't get through either. I am on Ubuntu 10.04 and have all connections made to my beaglebone.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you have the correct address? Where did you run ifconfig to get the beaglebone ip address? One problem I have is figuring out the beaglebone address, and I usually use the usb serial connecton to do an ifconfig command

      Delete